Need money for college? Enter the Cleanup Expert 2020 Scholarship Program
Here at Cleanup Expert, we know how hard it is to find money for college, whether you’re still in high school or going back to college as an adult. Our 2020 Scholarship Program will help ease a little bit of that burden for two lucky students.
With our focus on cleaning products for busy homeowners, we want young people to understand the social and environmental impact of cleaning products. Students may choose between several topics for their essays and videos revolving around current issues in the cleaning industry. From environmental to socioeconomic concerns, our mission is to educate those who will be responsible for manufacturing and purchasing decisions in the future.
Applicants must be:
- U.S. citizens
- High school seniors who have been accepted to an accredited U.S. college or students currently enrolled at an accredited U.S. college
- Those with a minimum GPA of 3.00
Topics for Essay or Video
Please write an essay (1,500 – 2,500 words) or a video (15 – 20 minutes) about one of the ten topics listed below:
- A rising demand for automatic pool cleaners has given rise to a 12% CAGR forecasted between 2019 – 2025. Will this demand for automatic pool cleaners result in less energy consumption, or will it encourage more pool construction, thereby increasing energy consumption?
- Should homeowners rent pressure washers instead of buying them? What are the financial, environmental, and safety benefits of one option over the other?
- With all the innovations in mopping technology, will traditional floor mops soon become obsolete?
- How are robot mops and other AI-driven cleaning devices influencing the growth of the urban middle-class in developing countries?
- Are robotic pool cleaners hurting business for local pool service companies? How can such companies stay afloat in this age of automatic cleaning machines?
- In 2014, 6,057 people went to the ER with pressure-washer related injuries. In 2016, Consumer Reports issued a safety warning about the dangers of using a zero-degree (red) nozzle, saying the risks far outweigh the perks. Why do manufacturers of residential gas pressure washers still include a zero-degree (red) nozzle despite the Consumer Reports safety warning?
- Electric pressure washers are largely used in the residential market. Unimanix, a Canadian manufacturer of pressure washers announced their new hot water electric pressure washers that will work based on the heat exchange system. How will this better serve the commercial market?
- Are homeowners doing more harm than good on their floors with steam mops? What are the potential economic, health, and property damage risks that could occur?
- From the Mopnado to the Hurricane Spin Mop, many companies have cashed in on the spin mops craze. But are they worth the hype? Is one brand really any better than another?
- With the advancements in AI technology in robot vacuums and other automated home devices, will it become necessary for such technology to become regulated by the government to protect privacy? How could manufacturers better balance the benefits and threats of smart tech?
Starting Date: January 30, 2020
Deadline: October 20, 2020
Winner Announcement: October 30, 2020
1st Place: $2,900
2nd Place: $1,500
How to Apply
Interested students must fill out the application form on our website. From there, students can upload their essays. For video entries, students should upload to YouTube and submit a link to their video. They must also upload a proof of enrollment to an accredited U.S. college or their most recent college transcript.
The essay or video entry must address one of 10 topics listed above. Submissions should be creative, engaging, and thought-provoking. We want to see logical arguments that really challenge us to think about the issues at hand. Submissions should use correct grammar, be free of typos, or in the case of a video, be free of audio and visual errors.